Mon05Feb20187:00 pmBeeton Hall, Toronto Reference Library
Sat17Feb2018Sat21Apr201810:00 amDiscussion Room, Toronto Reference Library
Workshops: Writing Immigration Memoirs: Drop in Workshops
Saturdays, February 17, March 3, 17, 31, April 21, 10 am, Discussion Room, Toronto Reference Library
Tsabari will lead informal, drop-in workshops that teach you how to write from life, followed by writing, sharing and discussion. Specifically geared to newcomers whose native language is other than English. Free workshops. No registration required.
6:30 pmBeeton Hall, Toronto Reference Library
Panel Discussion: Getting Published in Literary Magazines
Thursday, March 8, 6:30 pm, Beeton Hall, Toronto Reference Library
Tsabari will lead a panel discussion of editors from literary magazines, as well as share insights gained from submitting her work. She will also share tips from other writers who contributed to her guide, The Writer’s Guide to Publishing in Literary Magazines and Entering Contests. Free. No registration required.
Thu15Mar20186:30 pmHinton Learning Theatre, Toronto Reference Library
Interview: Exchanging Notes: The Interview with Ayelet Tsabari, Writer in Residence
Thursday, March 15 6:30 pm, Hinton Learning Theatre, Toronto Reference Library
Free. No registration required. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wed04Apr20186:30 pmAtrium, Toronto Reference Library
Panel Discussion: Writing Memoir
Wednesday, April 4, 6:30 pm Atrium, Toronto Reference Library
Tsabari will lead a panel of authors who have written memoirs. They will share their stories and struggles with the genre and offer insights and advice. After a reading by each author, there will be time for Questions and Answers. Free. No registration required.
Sat05May20189:30 amDiscussion Room, Toronto Reference Library
Workshop: Wish You Were Here: Evoking Place in Memoir
Saturday, May 5, 9:30 am, Discussion Room, Toronto Reference Library
Tsabari will lead a workshop on techniques for writing about place in your memoir, and to thinking of place as a potential character in our work. Examples and guided exercises included. Space is limited to 20 participants. Registration required. Note: online registration starts on January 6, 2018 (when listing will appear online).
Mon14May20186:30 pmBeeton Hall, Toronto Reference Library
Presentation: Ten Tips for Writing Great Memoirs
Monday, May 14, 6:30 pm, Beeton Hall, Toronto Reference Library
Tsabari will give a presentation on how to turn lived experience into literary art. Learn to locate the stories of your life in your lives, apply fiction techniques to enhance your work, and experiment with form, structure, tense and voice. Free. No registration required.
I will be the writer in residence at the Toronto Reference Library from February – May 2018. For more information about events and about manuscript submissions, go here.
- In “The ‘in between-ness’ of the Israeli expat writer” Diane Cole of Jewish Book Week writes about “On Foreign Soil” – the panel discussion I participated in with Israeli authors Maya Arad and Ruby Namdar at Ansche Chesed synagogue in New York, May 2016
- Amanda Parris of CBC covered The Festival of Literary Diversity, in which I participated, quoting from my post about my year of reading only writers of colour. May 2016
- Author and blogger Kerry Clare wrote a great summary of my panel and other panels at The Festival of Literary Diversity. May 2016
- Read about my experience at the Jewish Book Festival in Vancouver here, November 2015
- Read about my fabulous Italian book tour here! Parma, Piacenza, Turin, and Rome, June 2015.
- An evening with Sami Rohr winners and finalists at the Museum of Jewish Heritage, New York, May, 2015.
- Spotlight on Israeli Culture festival, presented with the IFOA (International Festival of Authors) and Koffler Centre of the Arts and Ben McNally Books, Toronto, February 2015
- I gave a lecture at Rice University in Houston, Texas, titled Language, Longing and Belonging. September 2014.
- I toured with The New Israel Fund of Canada in Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa. February, 2014. Read recap of the tour and see photos from the events here.